Two instances of Apache on the same server

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 05:24:23 IST 2010

On 6 October 2010 22:53, Tom Goren <tom at tomgoren.com> wrote:

> Gotcha - just seems to me the extra few bucks with the VPS provider (most likely applicable to the scenario you depicted) would be less than the effort to create such a beast.

It's a valid suggestion for certain circumstances, but not in ours -
we use our own irons to run multiple xen guests. Some of them are
short on RAM/CPU/Disk and being able to give each developer (or
customer) their own entire software stack on a single image is very
useful.

> From my minimal googling, and from some experience with apache it would require compiling apache twice with different ./configure options, and then perhaps doing some editing of the init scripts as well.

Not in CentOS - Apache comes compiled both with pre-fork and worker
MPM binaries and you can pick which one to start from the init script
by commenting/uncommenting a setting in /etc/sysconfig/httpd. I guess
that creating a similar init script which starts apache with other
configuration parameters could be enough to run both instances in
parallel in the same environment.

That said - I don't know the situation or motives of the original poster.

--Amos