Laptop

Steve G. wordz2u at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 06:04:59 IDT 2010

My 4+ year old Macbook is dying a slow death, and I am contemplating getting
a new laptop and would like your advice. Here are the parameters:

   -  My environment is Linux, Ubuntu for the last 2-3 years, and I would
   like to have it available to me on the laptop if I can. I have little use
   for either Mac OS-X or Windows as far as actually making much use of the
   software, beyond vary basic usage (iTunes, VLC, etc.). Linux is a different
   story.

   -  I have several reasons to buy a Windows 7 machine. First, I have a
   Magellan GPS that only works with Windows. Second, some bank accounts
   require it to fully function. Third, I can get a lot more computer for the
   money with Wintel than with Apple. Last, Ubuntu Laptops with the latest
   hardware may or may not work.

   - So, I am thinking about getting a 64x, core i3 laptop from Toshiba or
   Dell. These are available with 13-15" screen, 250-350GB HD (I think IDE,
   some are Sata but more expensive), 3-4GB RAM. In theory, at least, these can
   be virtualized, and I should be able to run either vmware, xen, virtual box
   or whatever client MS provides for free. One can get core i3 for around $500

So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know if Win7 includes a virtualization program that would
allow me to run Linux under it? How efficient is it - will I be able to put
it on full screen, forget I am running Windows, and use my preferred
environment?

2. Any recommendations for something that is fully compatible with Linux, in
case I get an alternative and can get rid of the windows part?

3. Any other advice?

Thanks!

Z.
--