question about a firewall

Etzion Bar-Noy ezaton at tournament.org.il
Sat Sep 4 00:26:04 IDT 2010

Hi.
I am in your shoes. I maintain several Linux systems hosted in Netvision
(currently) for the last few years. For the last 7 years or so, I have been
using iptables to protect my systems from intrusion. I have been using
denyhosts to prevent unauthorized SSH logins, and prevented direct root
login, or blocked all/some except my home fixed address and some other
well-trusted addresses.

This setup has proven itself to be effective and reliable, with zero
intrusions (I stopped logging them after a while, because it's not that
interesting, after all. The amount of random port scans are huge).

Assuming you understand iptables, and you know how to handle it right, there
is no problem with that solution. None that I have noticed.

Ez