CPU & RAM in a storage box

Etzion Bar-Noy ezaton at tournament.org.il
Thu Sep 9 23:12:27 IDT 2010

This is a joke, right? You want someone to host your system, which, by
design, will not be rack-mountable, and would be large, due to the amount of
disks you are to place there. It is possible, but extremely expensive to
host a non-1-U server nowadays. Who would "give" it to you?

An industrial-grade, 2U system could host, today, about 6 3.5" SATA disks. A
3 U can do much more, with up to 12-14 disks, depending on the system.

And RAM is extremely important. Since you will not invest in an
industial-class RAID controller (3ware, LSI-Logic, Adaptec, Intel, etc)
which will cost several hundreds of dollars, as I see it, you would want to
compensate for the high write latency with a large amount of RAM and fully
buffered writes (not secure, but good enough). Especially with 7200RPM SATA
drives with low seek speed.
NFS shares, in "async" mode would give great performance, provided you give
the system enough RAM. Then your RAM will actually become the disk write
cache.

Ez