CPU & RAM in a storage box

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 01:08:09 IDT 2010

2010/9/10 Hetz Ben Hamo <hetzbh at gmail.com>

> Hi people,
> I'm planning to add some big storage solution to my VPS business. I did some checking and calculated the costs, and figured out that if I want to have a decent 12TB solution NAS box, it would be best if I would roll my own. (12 TB before all the RAID stuff, after that it would lot less). All other solutions are very expensive (example: IBM EXP 3000 costs here 6K nis without a single hard disk).
> I'm planning to use hardware based RAID card, minimal Linux distribution and have some offers like iSCSI, NFS, CIFS - the usual suspects.

How about looking at openfiler (http://www.openfiler.com/), consider
whether you want to use it for that solution and see what kind of
hardware they recommend?

I have never used it but considered it before and as far as I remember
it's an integration of SAN management interface on top of CentOS.

Cheers,

--Amos