Problem at startup - lockup loading swap

Micha Feigin michf at post.tau.ac.il
Sun Sep 12 13:50:58 IST 2010

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:13:38 +0200
geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Micha wrote:
>

> > We tried running swapoff -a, mkswap and swapon -a. On the call to
> > swapon the
> > machine complained about not finding the swap's UUID (which didn't
> > match the
> > value reported by mkswap). The only information in /etc/fstab
> > regarding UUID is
> > commented out.
>
> That's what is causing the UUID problem. You deleted the swap
> partition and reformated it.

Yes, but why is it looking for it by UUID and how do I disable it?

> You have to remove or reconfigure the sleep to swap program, uswsusp.

I think I killed it when I installed his machine a long time ago, I don't like
uswsusp, but I'll check. How is it related to swapon complaining about UUID
though?

> > Any ideas about what the problem is and/or how to disable UUIDs
> > altogether as
> > they seem to be giving constant trouble?
>

> I think you are "barking up the wrong tree". It's probably not a swap
> problem, you are assuming it's one because that's the last message you
> got.

It was just to make sure, I was thinking a different place as well, but the
complaint about UUID left a suspicion that I'm trying to remove. Considering
UUID gave me nothing but trouble on multiple computers anyway I'd rather remove
any dependency on them in any case.