attaching mice to VM sessions

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Mon Sep 13 15:40:37 IST 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 16:34 +0300, Michael Lewinger wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> i wanted to use VMs in VBOX or VMWARE PLAYER as follows:
>
> 1) 2 PCI-E dual-head cards
> 2) 4 monitors, each one connected to a different head
> 3) 4 mice and keyboard 9all USB)
>
> And run 4 VMs in parallel, so that each VM has exclusive hold of a
> monitor, a mouse and a keyboard, and that such setup be maintained
> between launches, ie, wihtout messing with dynamically allocated
> resources. As far as I have checked, one cannot preclude the VM from
> recognizing USB mice and keyboards, in a way that each mouse be
> allocated to a different VM, and not be recognized in the other VMs.

VirtualBox's virtual machines have the Devices menu (outside of the
client area, which is controlled by the VM itself) and it allows you to
associate (or decline to associate) an USB device, connected to the host
machine, with the virtual machine.

About exclusive holds of monitors - I didn't try such a setup.

However:
Why not use 4 physical PCs for this purpose (or a PC with terminal
server and hard disk, and 3 PCs operating as diskless terminals)?

--- Omer

--
Palestinians did not firmly and vocally and strongly denounce the Hannover attack (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/24/german-youths-attack-jewi_n_623922.html) but rather supported the attack, even though it is yet another proof why Jews need their own country in which they can live safely.

I may be affiliated in any way.