capslock mysteriously reversed once in a while

Elazar Leibovich elazarl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 10:07:48 IST 2010

I'm using capslock to switch between hebrew and English.

Once in a while the capslock key is reversed, and when I switch back to
English, everything I'm writing is in caps.
The only workaround I found is disabling the Hebrew language, and adding it
again.

I fist thought it is manifestation of this
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/227326

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/227326>However
I'm pretty sure it happened a few times even without openoffice installed.

In order to find the culprit, I'm thinking about running something in the
spirit of the excellent sysinternals Process Monitor [1]. I need something
which would logs all applications that access any of the X functions that
might cause this issue. Then when the problem will happen again, I'll take a
look at the log, and find out who did that.

How can I do that, if at all?

Does anyone have a better idea of how to approach this problem?

[1] I can't use directly the equivalent of Process Monitor for Unix (dtrace
or system tap), since I'm not interested in a system call, but in a call for
a specific function in the X shared library.