Can I use 32bit shared libraries on a 64bit machine?

ik idokan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 22:56:26 IST 2010

You can use 32 bit libraries in 64 bit machines. I use several VPNs in Linux
that are only 32 bit based, while my own machine is 64 bit.

I haven't used Mandriva for a long time, but as far as I remember, you
should place it under the "normal" lib directory. the lib64 is for 64 bit
only. That's way you maintain the order of things.

When done, do ldconfig -v to see if the shared library was found in the
search path. If not, please add it to /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ or any other
directory/file Mandriva requires it.

Good luck

Ido