linux games for kids

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Sep 20 23:28:21 IST 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, sara fink wrote:

> I have a friend which has a windows machine. She wants some games for her 4
> years old child. Since I don't know anything about games but being aware
> that her pc could become filled with viruses, adware, and other malware, I
> thought to put for her virtual machine and a linux distribution.
>
> I am thinking about
> 1. distribution that is especially loaded with games for kids
> 2.  take any distro and install some games on the virtual machine.
>
> If someone has a recommendation for a distro that would be the easiest
> solution.

I don't know anything about them, but Debian has the following (possibly
in addition to others):

junior-arcade - Debian Jr. arcade games
junior-art - Debian Jr. Art
junior-config - Debian Jr. Project common package
junior-games-card - Debian Jr. Card Games
junior-games-gl - Debian Jr. 3D Games (hardware acceleration required)
junior-games-net - Debian Jr. Network Games
junior-games-sim - Debian Jr. Simulation Games
junior-games-text - Debian Jr. Text Games
junior-gnome - Debian Jr. for GNOME
junior-internet - Debian Jr. Internet tools
junior-kde - Debian Jr. for KDE
junior-math - Debian Jr. educational math
junior-programming - Debian Jr. programming
junior-puzzle - Debian Jr. Puzzles
junior-sound - Debian Jr. sound
junior-system - Debian Jr. System tools
junior-tasks - Debian-Junior tasks for tasksel
junior-toys - Debian Jr. desktop toys
junior-typing - Debian Jr. typing
junior-writing - Debian Jr. writing
junior-doc - Debian Jr. Documentation

It's possible that Ubuntu may have these as well, being a Debian
derivative, but I've not checked and no longer have access to a Ubuntu
system to check on.

Geoff.