Moving mail

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Thu Sep 23 19:12:10 IST 2010

Hi,

Thought I'd tap into the collective whisdom to help solve this one.

A few friends and I run a Linode VPS running Debian stable.  We're using
Postfix for our MTA, with virtual mailboxes in Maildir format.  We offer
Squirrelmail as one of our webmail platforms.

Another friend has a website and Email system hosted on a Windows hosting
platform.  The Email uses a system called SmarterMail.  Unfortunately, the
web interface for SmarterMail has become more and more difficult for a
blind person to use, and so we decided to move her Email from her server
to ours.  We're also looking at moving her site but it's currently written
in Cold Fusion which could cause difficulties ... but I digress.

The new mail has been showing up here for months, and everyone who uses
her Email service is very happy with our hosting of her Email.  What I
want to do now is move the old remaining mail from the old site into the
equivalent accounts on the new system.  I'm thinking that I could do this
using Fetchmail over an IMAP connection (SmarterMail supports IMAP4) and
somehow deliver it to the new accounts.  Or possibly use some other means
to put it into appropriate Maildir folders.  The latter would be better,
as some of this mail is already saved into folders and it seems silly to
require users to resave items to folders for storage when they're already
saved like this.

Any thoughts on how to achieve this?  Unfortunately, this isn't a *nix
system so I can't just log in and copy the files, I need to use Email
protocols to get the mail and then do something with it, and I'm not
really sure where to start.

Thanks,
Geoff.