MediaWiki sorting the Hebrew Alphabet

Herouth Maoz herouth at spamcop.net
Mon Apr 4 18:17:33 IDT 2011

Quoting Ira Abramov <Lists-Linux-IL at ira.abramov.org>:

> On several sites I manage I have this problem - Category pages display
> articles and subcategories sorted absolutely wrong. As far as I can tell
> this is only a Hebrew issue. Anyone got a clue? Someone told me it may
> be a question of DB collation or something, but I don't want to touch
> anything irreversibly without knowing exactly what would happen.

Which database are you using? As far as I know, both PostgreSQL and
MySQL are dependent on the usual libraries for their sorting
algorithms, and therefore on the variable LC_COLLATE.

I'm not sure, though, whether it's something you can change in
runtime. Last time that I tried, PostgreSQL took the value of the
environment variable at the time of creation of a database cluster,
which meant that changing it would require backing up, re-creating the
cluster, and reloading the database. I'm less familiar with mySQL and
how it relates to said environment variable.

Herouth