The STREAMS non-inclusion in Linux

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Fri Apr 22 12:23:47 IDT 2011

Thanks, Geoff Mendelson and Shlomi Fish, for helping me understand why
STREAMS didn't find its way into Linux.

Intuitively, drivers stacked according to STREAMS interfaces and
protocols would be slower than monolithic drivers accomplishing the same
function.  Therefore the monolithic solution would be preferred.

This is especially true as Linux kernel supports loading and unloading
of driver modules, so it does not cost much to replace the equivalent of
one stack of drivers by the equivalent of another stack of drivers.

I was amused to read that one of the POSIX standards was affected by
Linux' insistence upon not implementing STREAMS in the standard kernel.

--- Omer

--
My Commodore 64 is suffering from slowness and insufficiency of memory;
and its display device is grievously short of pixels.  Can anyone help?

I may be affiliated in any way.