012 phone line replacement.

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 13:53:16 IDT 2011

I was called up and offered a package from 012 to replace my phone
line. Currently I have an aDSL line from BEZEQ (NGN) and a package
deal from 012 where I pay them for the combination of the aDSL portion
of the line and the ISP service.

I have my own router because I set up my network myself and use
different settings such as IP address, etc. It's also because I have a
cable modem and a second internet connection. The cable modem was down
once when I needed it and I got the aDSL line as a backup.

The two networks are "blended" so that everyone exists on the same
connection and I can control which device connects via which network
by setting a default route in the dhcp server.

The package replaced my modem with a "superbox" which is an aDSL
modem, router, VoIP box, wifi access point and DECT phone base
station. So far, so good. You can log on to the router side of the box
and make all the changes I need to have it function with my network.

The reason for doing it is cost. It replaces my BEZEQ land line with a
VoIP line from 012 with the same number. The only change is that you
always need to dial area codes. :-(

The price was much cheaper. They even offered to pay my BEZEQ bill (25
NIS a month for the "bare" aDSL line) for 2 months, give me 30 minutes
of international calls a month free for a year and so on.

The problem is that they reload the settings of the superbox every 24
hours. So all the settings that I made disappear. Instead of fitting
nicely in my network, it would crash it.

The tech was very nice about it, and apologized for wasting my time.
He told me that they do something different to accomodate people with
more advanced networks, but they are always businesses, and it
requires special permission, a different box, and a router.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM

--