MySQL / PostgreSQL limitation

Hetz Ben Hamo hetzbh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 02:46:47 IDT 2011

Hi,

I'm thinking about some project, and I was wondering about something: lets
say I'm setting up a really-big-web site. Something in the scale of Walla or
Ynet.
My question is about the DB: Where are exactly my limitations that I need to
go master/slave, replications etc.
Is it related to memory? processor? I know that many uses replication etc
due to shortage or RAM and/or CPU power.

Lets say I have a machine with 512GB RAM, 20 cores, 20TB disks. Such a
machine should handle a huge load without any issue. With such a machine,
theoretically, can a single MySQL / PostgreSQL handle such a load? (few
hundred thousands connected users at once).

Thanks,
Hetz

--

*חץ בן חמו