IPv6

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 10:33:16 IST 2011

On Feb 4, 2011, at 10:09 AM, Uri Even-Chen wrote:

> I have websites and domain names, but currently I think they work
> with IPv4
> and not IPv6. Will they change them to IPv6? Will I have to change DNS
> settings for my domain names? And when will this happen?

Possibly never, but at least for a long time. The current DNS system
is IPv4 only, but serves both IPv4 and IPv6. If you have your DNS set
up to include IPv6, the information will be available, but the client
needs to be able to interpet it.

Since BIND is open source software, nothing is preventing you or
anyone else from adding IPv6 support to it. Eventually someone will do
it, and 100% IPv6 networks will become possible.

Will IPv4 support ever be dropped from BIND? Sure, some day. But as
the old saying goes, "don't hold your breath". After all Windows 7
still runs 8088 PC DOS programs. Not because Microsoft wants to
maintain compatibility with 30 year old programs, but because
customers pay for it.

On the other hand, 99% of all internet uses have no idea what is on
the other side of their router.  You could replace IP with something
completely different and as long as their routers still work, no one
would ever notice.

In fact, it pretty much is here in Israel, You run IPv4, HOT runs
DOCISS and BEZEQ ATM. Your IPv4 (or IPv6 if you had it) packets go
into the router, and come out somewhere else, but they get there via a
different protocol.

> What happens to people whos systems don't support IPv6? Will they not
> be able to view IPv6 websites or send/receive email from IPv6 users?
> Or is it backwards compatible with IPv4? Will the DNS system all
> change to IPv6?

My guess is that no one will convert their website to 100% IPv6 for
many years to come, unless they don't really care about older users.
For example, I mentioned PC DOS programs, and while Microsoft supports
them, I doubt there is a YouTube plan to support them. As time goes
on, many sites will just stop caring if a person with a ten year old
PC and an obsolete network technology access them.

Those people are not going to buy new cars or this week's newest cell
phone, eat in $100 a person restaurants, or pay to watch HDTV
(whatever it is by then). They will pay for low res (in comparison)
sports, or order pizzas, so those sites will have IMHO IPv4
compatibility for a long time.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.