IPv6

Uri Even-Chen uri at speedy.net
Fri Feb 4 12:13:48 IST 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:48, shimi <linux-il at shimi.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Uri Even-Chen <uri at speedy.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:15, shimi <linux-il at shimi.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > You should see this lecture:
>> >
>> > [1/4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2clTKh2vFAE
>> > [2/4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3i4RRubCvI
>> > [3/4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L_9aehQQig
>> > [4/4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shmt9U4-rTI
>>
>> Thanks for the links, I listened to the entire lecture. I understand
>> that Google and Facebook still haven't enabled IPv6 on their main
>> websites. http://ipv6.google.com/ doesn't work for me. So I guess it's
>> too early to enable my websites with IPv6.
>>

> Do you have IPv6 connectivity on your machine? If not, how do you expect to
> open a session between you and them? (this was explained in the lecture...)
>
> (Do you want IPv6 connectivity and don't want to wait until Israeli ISPs
> wake up? See http://ipv6.he.net )

Actually I don't care. I get the default IPv4 address from my ISP
(bezeqint.net). As long as I can see the entire Internet, I don't care
to use IPv4. My websites also work with IPv4. I think I will wait for
my ISP and web hosting companies to switch to IPv6 when they want to
(if they ever decide to do so). As long as Google, Twitter, Facebook
and Wikipedia are not using IPv6, I don't see any reason to use it.

>> By the way, I wonder what Wikipedia will do with IPv6 addresses? Will
>> they do the same they are doing with IPv4 (save the IP of the user who
>> edited pages)?
>>

> Why not? An IP is an IP...
>

>> Will an IPv6 address be permanent for end users, or will it change
>> every day? (I think my IP address at home is not permanent).
>>

> I believe it will still be the choice of the providers. There's no technical
> reason not to assign any customer a static prefix with many IPs... as there
> would be "enough for everybody", and they won't have an excuse on that one
> anymore. Of course, there's always the monetary reason (why not make money
> off our customers, selling them a $0/mo. worth service at $10/mo. price?)

I don't like permament IP addresses. Sometimes I prefer to remain
anonymous, and with a permanent IP address a website can recognize me
with previous actions (without cookies). For example Wikipedia. I also
don't want people to recognize my IP address and actions on Wikipedia
(when I didn't use an account). I guess that with IPv6 it will be
easier to remain anonymous.

Uri Even-Chen
Mobile Phone: +972-50-9007559
E-mail: uri at speedy.net