Networking: How to add another router

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Sun Feb 13 18:47:36 IST 2011

Hi,

I find myself with the need to connect 5 ethernet devices to 4 available
ports.

I'm running an ADSL modem/router with a 192.168.2.x network (for
historical reasons) and have allocated static addresses to all of the
static devices, and a pool of DHCP addresses for devices which ask for it.

Right now the fifth device is running on wireless but I want to plug it in
if I can.

A quick Google tells me that there's no kind of double adaptor available
to help solve my problem.  The closest I've seen is a way to send two
10/100 mbps Ethernet feeds down the one ethernet cable, but you still need
two ports at each end.  I only have one so that's no good.

Assuming that there is no such double adaptor device that I can use to get
me a fifth port, the only solution I can see is to drag out the Edimax
router I have here which is no longer being used.

Assuming I do this, I'm wondering how to configure it.

I'm guessing that it will actually have to route.  I can't see myself
doing bridging because there'll have to be two devices on it (the router
will need to take up one of the 4 ports on the modem/router so this then
leaves 5 devices and only 3 other ports,).

Presumably I need to configure the WAN port so that it connects to the
existing network.  Do I need to set aside a subnet of the 192.168.2.x
network specifically for the second router, or can I just enlarge the
entire network and have it all just cope, with the right packets going to
the right places?

My preference would be to be able to keep it all as one big network, as
I'd rather not have to reallocate static addresses if I can help it, which
I'm guessing I'd have to do if I had to make the second router have its
own subnet of the 192.168.2.x network.

Netmasks and such tend to confuse me a little and I'm not sure what I
should be doing here, so any suggestions would be helpful.

Geoff.