Update: eVrit e-book Reader

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 15:33:33 IST 2011

On Feb 17, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Amichai Rotman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Terrible for photos / pictures. Too dark, no colors and slow. The
> books' covers and in-book diagrams and line art look great!
>
> User Experience:
>
> As I mentioned, I am very happy with the device. It is very light
> and under the right lighting conditions it is very clear and fun to
> read from. Using it under the sun was even better than under
> florescent light.
> I downloaded a sample book from the Barns & Noble site (what they
> call a 'NookBook) and transfered it to the device directly (an .epub
> file) - and begun reading immediately! no DRM, no conversion - out
> of the download! I called their Customer Support (voice - I needed
> to hear it) and asked if it is because it's a sample. the
> representative said the sample is technically the same as the full
> book!
>
> Over the course of the last three years I've read very few books,
> mostly technical books by the computer, but since I've bought this
> device I have read more than 70 pages of a Hebrew thriller, and a
> few pages of some technical books and got the epub version of a 1500
> page book I was wondering how to carry around with me...
>
> Conclusion:
>
> Very good buy for those of you who need the Hebrew support. Not very
> expensive. No dual display. No color display - but perfect for
> reading books!

What does it do with full page scans of books (jpeg images as PDF
files)? The nook displays them full screen, with no rotate, zoom or
contrast adjustment (makes reading colored ones difficult), the Kindle
3 (but not the original nor 2) has those adjustments. I have several
thousand electronics and other technical books like that.

You may also want to look at Calibre, it's an open source manager for
eBooks, which includes format conversions, etc. It's available for
Linux, Windows and Mac and supports the Kindle, nook, iPad and many
other readers. If it does not support the eVrit directly, you can
still use it to organize your library and do format conversions.

If you are looking for modern Sci-Fi, Baen books has a free
downloadable library. They have also issued free CDs of books (and in
some cases entire series) that are not available on line from them,
but you can download them via bit torrent and directly online.

For the books:

http://www.baen.com/library/

For the CDs:

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.