Samsung Galaxy S, Big Brother, and an unsolicited review [Was: Advice Needed - Bye Bye Nokia!]

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Sat Feb 26 10:24:00 IST 2011

On 25/02/11 23:28, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
>     I hope synchronization can be disabled on all Android phones, but
>     I don't know that and I could not find out. "My Calendar" was a
>     major reason for choosing Galaxy S.

Calendar and contacts use a "provider" (technical term) in order to
perform the synchronization. Calendar cannot be used without at least
one such provider. Samsung must have created a "local only" provider to
make calendar usable without connecting your phone to Google. This is
not Android's default.

Standard Android does support, at least for the Google provider, to tell
it what to sync and what not. I routinely (because my phones get
reinstalled a lot due to work) tell it to not sync the contacts, but you
are right that this is not the default.

The contacts situation is a little more complicated on stock Android.
The contacts application is useable even before logging in to Google,
but it uses a temporary local provider that is no longer available once
the Google provider is present. This means that any contact you create
after logging in to google will automatically be synced unless you told
the provider not to sync the contacts. This includes contacts imported
from vcard or the sim card.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh