Completely OT: Where can I find Hebrew etymology?

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 16:13:38 IST 2011

mivreshet is a new word invented by eliezer Ben Yehuda, based on the English
brush, in a Hebrew form. Bialik prefered the word mis'eret (from hair), but
it did not catch. On other times, Bialik won: his matos won over the aviron,
invented by Ben Yehuda, which also resembles the French word avoin.

The BenYehuda dictionary, available through Bialik institution, and an
on-going work of putting it online via the benyehuda.org project, would have
told you that, probably. The problem is that it is only updated till a bit
after Ben Yehuda's time.

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Geeks, help me here! Where can I find the etymology (word root) for
> non-Biblical Hebrew words? Words such as "petria", or "mivreshet"? An
> online source would be great, but I'm willing to buy a book if need
> be.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen