consistent device name

Erez D erez0001 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 14:25:39 IST 2011

HI

I have 2 identical USB to Serial dongles

If I connect them to an XP box, i get assigned a COM port according to the
usb port i connected to
If I connect them to a Linux Box, i get assigned a ttyUSBn port according to
the order i connected them

as i am not always aware of the order i connect them, and it is not uniquly
defined if the are both connected at boot time,
I get the device name swapped every reboot.

is there a way to assign a constant device name according to the USB port it
is connected to and not via the order it is connected
(under linux of course)

thanks,
erez.