Die GNU autotools

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Jan 10 13:56:26 IST 2011

On Monday 10 Jan 2011 12:49:25 Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
> LOL.
>
> My feelings too. A while ago I got so tired of autotools that I even
> started working on my own build system intended as a semi-drop-in
> replacement. It's purely make-based. If interested, take a look at
> the sources http://sources.total-knowledge.com/gitweb/?p=adon-banai.git

Well, after a small experimentation with SCons ( http://www.scons.org/ ) which
I didn't really like (but is still better than GNU Autohell), I've finally
settled on CMake - http://www.cmake.org/ - which is awesome in almost every
way (its built-in language is not very powerful, but it doesn't matter much,
and it's still certainly better than Autotools' m4+sh). I've converted
Freecell Solver ( http://fc-solve.berlios.de/ ) to it and started converting
some other projects, and I'm starting new C based projects in it too.

How is your build-system ("adon-banai"?) different from CMake? Can it handle
Windows builds too?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish