Die GNU autotools

Elazar Leibovich elazarl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 21:02:15 IST 2011

You gave a very good history lesson about the need and reasons for
autotools.

The thing is, many of the software written now, is not intended to run on
HP-UX framework. I'm not a Unix expert, but maybe modern unices are more
POSIX compliant than in the past.

So I think developers prefer to write a more strictly POSIX compliant
application, and to need a simpler building process and have a single set of
source files, than to use non-portable functions and to be forced to use
autotools.

For example, I'd rather implement hton* myself, then checking for this
function's existence with autotools.

A good example for such a project is http://re2.googlecode.com It uses plain
makefile, supports a few unices, and is fairly complex.