Die GNU autotools

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Tue Jan 11 07:09:16 IST 2011

On 10/01/11 23:22, Elazar Leibovich wrote:

> But then again, this software is usable today on many platforms, and
> it makes life easier maintainance-wise for 99.9% of the use cases, and
> using it in a special way is possible without too much hassle.
>
> Let's compare the situation there with the situation of VLC which uses
> autotools.
Sure, it makes total sense to compare a software that is 93 files, about
36,000 lines of code (including tests) and no documented dependencies to
VLC, 1340 source files, 590,000 lines of code and tons of understandable
dependencies due to external codecs and stuff. I can see how, except for
the choice of build system, the two are on par.

The fact of the matter is that, had we chosen auto* for re2, the build
would be trivially small. I'm guessing it would be on par of running
"autoscan", and then doing 5 minutes of editing on the resulting
configure script.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh