Die GNU autotools

Elazar Leibovich elazarl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 22:45:45 IST 2011

I think you described correctly the root of the disagreement.
I believe that any software (including free software) is written not as to
implement an Aristotle's Ideal, but to be used by as many people as
possible, and to be useful for them.
So when I'm writing a free software, I'm trying to make it as useful as
possible to most people. If most people are having 2Gb of memory on their
machine they probably won't care for an extra 20Mb, so they'll be happy to
have a better tested software and pay for that in 20Mb of memory of the JVM
(they would only pay of course if they're running two JVM based
software simultaneously, which is not so common). Of course, I won't force
my user to use extra 200Mb, that could matter, but nowadays 20Mb in those
settings are not such a big deal. Wasting 20 minutes of my user's time on
updating his JVM is. I also want to support my users, even though I'm
writing a free software. I really want it to be useful.

You see free software writing as an art. The software you write must
implement the ideal best software, even if it's not the most practical
solution. So, for instance, you'll use an extremely complicated algorithm,
which is hard to debug and maintain, even though it gives no
user visible performance gain, only because it is "the right thing to do".
It is a plausible stance I can understand, and I understand why this stance
cause you to prefer the autosuite for every project, despite its costs.

And by the way, if a software is working correctly and using 10Mb, and
another software does the same thing with 5Mb of memory usage, I won't
switch. It really wouldn't matter for me, the difference between both is
immeasurable for my computer usage patterns.

But what I'm really bothered is by your claim "developer time is cheap, it's
FSF, somebody[*] will do that". I really don't think the situation nowadays
is that we have too much working hands for free software. Especially in open
source software for which you need special expertise
http://zrusin.blogspot.com/2010/07/graphics-drivers.html

[*]
<http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/spring02/white/poems.html>When our mother
went