I made a big mistake: dependency hell in Kubuntu!

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sun Jan 23 23:54:15 IST 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 11:19:53PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> In trying to install Digikam 1.7 on Kubuntu 10.10 I got myself into
> dependency hell. I was installing some Natty packages with dpkg.

Why would you do that?

> Now I
> cannot even open Konsole, Dolphin, or any other KDE app other that
> what is already open. When I try to "apt-get install -f" in a virtual
> terminal it wants to remove almost everything! Of course, I cannot cut
> and paste from there. Of course, the apt-get database is up to date
> with the proper repos.

Try aptitude. Its resolver may be smart enough to offer you some other
options.

BTW: 'aptitude -f' is something you should not use. It's not the
equivalent of 'apt-get -f'. The equivalent of 'apt-get install -f' is
normally 'aptitude install'

Also try the the option '--dry-run' of aptitude  / apt-get to get a list
of packages it wants to remove.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best