The ADM user/group

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Jan 24 16:24:19 IST 2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, Nadav Har'El wrote:

> That being said, on my system (Fedora 14), I don't see any file with group
> adm, or any real user with this group, so it appears it isn't used at all.

Interesting.  On my systems, one Debian Lenny and one Debian Squeeze, I
see numerous files in /var/log with group adm.  True, no-one is in the adm
group, but that's because I've never put anyone in it.

I'd think that the only security gains would be to remove anyone from the
adm group that's not meant to be there, rather than removing the group
entirely.  Certainly , if there's no-one in the group then it will make
*no* difference whatsoever that I can see.

Geoff.