Linux firewall vs appliance

Hetz Ben Hamo hetzbh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 21:13:31 IST 2011

Hi,

I was wondering about the following scenario:

I have 2 lines coming from 2 carriers, each line is 2 Gbit internet
connection. They go to a router, and then there should be a firewall..

Here I have 2 choices:

1. Take a Cisco/Fortigate/Juniper/Whatever box, throw it in, configure it,
and be done with it, while I need to pay some yearly license for updates.
2. Stick some serious Linux server that it will become the firewall.

My question: based on whats available for Linux today (iptables, APF, BFD,
you-name-it..) - could Linux be trusted as a very good firewall for data
center (as an example)? (I know that Checkpoint is using Linux, but they
wrote some additional closed source modules, and I haven't heard any
alternatives of those modules in open source version)

I have read articles with people swear that Linux box should suite it while
other highly recommended the appliances..

Whats your opinion?
Hetz