Help me understand connection to internet: Infrastructure and ISP

Etzion Bar-Noy ezaton at tournament.org.il
Sat Jan 29 21:16:19 IST 2011

I have been pursuing an Internet problem for the last two weeks until its
apparent solution last week. It was classical - Packet Loss. Hot blamed
Bezeq Int. and did nothing about it, I have had to prove (using Bezeqint
support personnel) that the problem was Hot's. It was very tiresome, and I
consider sending them a bill for my hours under the title "assistance with
solving Internet connectivity problem". I don't think they will pay, but it
could be interesting to see the response it might provoke there.

I use Linux, and I use a dialer. Whoever claims you have to use MPLS (aka -
no-dialer) for Linux is an idiot who doesn't understand the infrastructure.
I use L2TP, as can be described here (works for modern distros as well):
http://run.tournament.org.il/cables-connection-in-israel-for-linux/
I have written it :-)

It allows for easier troubleshooting when it comes to support personnel,
given you understand the actions required. BezeqInt were OK, regarding the
waste of my time, as I had explained what I was doing, and gave the (true)
impression I know what I'm doing. Hot, on the other side, had a great
service. They had spent hours with me. It's a great service, where it can be
measured on the level of "service", but they are technically inadepts, who
should be kept far away from computer equipment. I refer their technical
teams, of course - Their infrastructure teams, especially, and their tech
support teams. They are like baboons with keyboards, and most of their
actions are based on random "it succeeded before so let's do it again"
methods.
However, since Bezeq don't supply NGN near my home, I am stuck with Hot for
the next year, most likely.

When using MPLS, try to use traceroute, and check if you get packet loss to
your default GW. This is within Hot's domain, still. Onwards, it's Bezeq
Int. You can use their speed tests, and other international speed tests to
test the connectivity. You can check DNS, with their DNS server, or with
free DNS servers on the net, such as 8.8.8.8 (google. Will supply service).

Hope it works for you better in the future.

Ez