UDP packets loss at Israeli ISPs during peak hours

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Sun Jul 3 08:56:08 IDT 2011

2011/7/3 Arie Skliarouk <skliarie at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>

> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 08:02, shimi <linux-il at shimi.net> wrote:
>
>> If you want, prior to calling them, to combat them with their own weapon,
>> thankfully there's a UDP protocol that probably no ISP would want to
>> degrade; Try switching to port 53 :-)
>>

> I think that would not work as I observe frequent name server errors at
> exactly same periods (I am using Google's free DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and
> 8.8.4.4). Hmm, need to switch to the local DNS servers...

If that's the case, it wouldn't, probably. If your ISP does not provide you
with the ability to use the yellowpages of the Internet, I would have
switched an ISP _yesterday_... (but would have tried to call them and ask
them to rectify the problem first, as everybody deserves a chance... maybe
they just "got it wrong"...).

If they don't solve the problem and that causes you to switch an ISP, I
would also complain to the MOC. As a general rule, I would record such phone
calls, and trick the other side to admit that they're messing with your
traffic... sometimes they would decline that they're "delibaretly
stopping/dropping traffic", but would admit that "we prioritize HTTP for
better service", which implies the former, obviously, as this is a zero-sum
game.

Of course, you can go Geoffrey's way, and use VPN over port 80 (probably
what they favor their traffic for), affecting your performance, security (no
hidden VPN server anymore...), etc, and wait until the next thing your ISP
fights you, _their customer_, with. OK, try 443 first, as this is less
likely to be messed up by Deep Packet Inspection machines on the way, and
Transparent HTTP Proxies. However, it might be that only 80 is favored in
their QoS box... as I have seen a few years ago in the ISP I'm using...

-- Shimi