Finally - A RMS talk in Tel-Aviv. Including details

Mordecha Behar mordecha.behar at mail.huji.ac.il
Sun Jul 17 20:26:39 IDT 2011

2011/7/17 Dima (Dan) Yasny <dyasny at gmail.com>

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Orr Dunkelman <orr.dunkelman at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Michael Shiloh
>> <michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com> >> To be more general, it is unheard of
>> for a prospective guest to set
>> >

>> > I'm not sure that's true. Haven't musicians and other performers used
>> their
>> > platform as a way to express agreement or disagreement with particular
>> > political positions for ages?
>> >
>> > Michael
>>
>> It is very rare in computer science to mix politics and work.
>> Actually, this is true for most exact sciences.
>>
>> As for RMS, who is an advocate of freedom of rights, he has just
>> agreed to accept money (travel costs) in exchange for giving away his
>> freedom of speech.
>> Tz'e Wolmad...
>>

> /me don't see what the argument is about. I'll simply vote against RMS's
> and his politically inclined friends bs with my feet by _not_ going. End of
> story

Yes, there is that.
But thanks to the law passed last week we can also take affirmative action.
I don't think that suing RMS or the FSF will be a good idea, or even
feasible (IANAL and I'm pretty sure that this law doesn't hold for
people/groups from abroad) but we might be able to sue the group financing
his trip.
Again, I'm not sure that that's even a good idea. But it is possible.