email alias issue

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Tue Jul 19 23:55:37 IDT 2011

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011, ik wrote:

> 2011/7/19 Hetz Ben Hamo <hetzbh at gmail.com>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a weird issue with /etc/aliases
>> I've setup the root to send emails to my email (hetz at benhamo.org) and ran
>> the newaliases command to rebuild the aliases db file.
>> I've restarted sendmail.
>>
>> And yet, sendmail simply ignores this alias and tries to send emails to
>> root at benhamo.org (which of course doesn't exists).
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> Yes, DON'T work with sendmail

<rant>
I really *hate* these sorts of non-answers.  They don't help at all with
the immediate problem and only really serve to annoy the person asking the
question.  Yes, I realise that in this case the questioner ended up taking
this person's advice, but there may well have been plenty of cases where
they might not have been able to.  Questions like this don't usually
outline the rationale for why they are using the
software/hardware/whatever they're asking about, and neither should they
have to.

If I ask about a problem I'm having with my cat, the last thing I want to
hear from someone is that I should have a dog instead.  The fact is that I
have a cat.  There may be good reasons for recommending a dog instead, and
I can see why it might be relevent to mention this when answering, but to
just say "get a dog" is not at all helpful.

And if you *must* say "get a dog", at least say why.
</rant>

Geoff.