Graphics driver for i5 CPU / openSuSE v11.4

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Wed Jul 20 11:12:46 IDT 2011

On 07/20/2011 02:18 AM, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
> Stan Goodman<stan.goodman at hashkedim.com>  writes:
>
>> If I omitted to specify the video driver, I have to apologize. I had
>> spent the entire day, and part of yesterday, finding and trying to
>> install the Sandy Bridge driver (which is not yet found in the
>> normal YaST system). Shortly after I gave up and posted the note you
>> read. I stumbled upon the one-click installation website, which
>> supports the needed driver, and was able to install the thing within
>> less than a minute. So, although I feel I wasted many hours
>> unnecessarily, the up side is that my operating system is now usable
>> graphically, and I can begin to grow back what remains of my hair.
> First, congratlations. Secondly, I am still confused and curious, if
> only to learn a little bit of how a not very familiar system (and a
> new CPU/GPU) works.
>
> What driver is it? i915? How come it is not a part of the kernel?

Last night, because it was late, I failed to notice that the Subject
line of your note (and my earlier one) says "graphics driver". This
morning, after a very good night's sleep, it jumped up and hit me in the
eye. The i5/6/7 CPUs and their h3000 graphics are still pretty new; the
driver I installed is on the "Tumbleweed" repository, a place for new
things that haven't made it into the main stream. I have not yet
installed the latest and greatest kernel, of which there are several
varieties on Tumbleweed.

--

Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on