OT: Postgraduate studies

Jonathan Ben Avraham yba at tkos.co.il
Wed Jul 27 19:49:31 IDT 2011

Hi Antony,
If you are a "computer scientist" then you better get an MSc, if not a PhD
quick.

If you were a "software engineer" then I'd say why bother.

If you are a code hacker who writes 5,000 lines a week, then don't bother
telling anyone you even have a degree - if they find out, just say you
forgot.

It depends on how you want to bill yourself.

Now as for employers, most want you to work overtime for a few years and
then they are more generous about letting you study part-time.

Regards,

  - yba

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Antony Gelberg wrote:

> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:53:41 +0300
> From: Antony Gelberg <antony.gelberg at gmail.com>
> To: Linux-IL <linux-il at cs.huji.ac.il>
> Subject: OT: Postgraduate studies
>
> (I hope this isn't so off-topic as to cause offence.)
>
> I'm an computer scientist and oleh chadash , just finished ulpan bet
> plus.  15 years experience in the field, 1.5 years in Israel, was CTO
> of a startup last year, this year I've been mostly studying Hebrew.
>
> So now it's time to polish off my CV and further my career.  I've been
> browsing the main Israeli high-tech websites today, as an example I
> was just looking at the IBM Research Labs - very interesting indeed.
> However most positions seem to require an MSc.  There is a definite
> cultural difference between here and the UK in terms of second degrees
> - I don't have one.  I'm 34 and don't want to hang about forever, but
> at the same time I might consider postgraduate studies if they were
> really useful career-wise.  Naturally, it's also too late in the year
> to apply for the upcoming academic year...
>
> I'd be interested to hear any thoughts from the list on whether it
> would be a Good Idea to consider an MSc at this point, or whether I
> should settle for a role where "just" a BSc is required, and see if I
> can work with future employer to study whilst I work...
>
> Antony

  EE 77 7F 30 4A 64 2E C5  83 5F E7 49 A6 82 29 BA    ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
      - yba at tkos.co.il - tel: +972.2.679.5364, http://www.tkos.co.il -