OT: Postgraduate studies

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Wed Jul 27 19:57:36 IDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Antony Gelberg <antony.gelberg at gmail.com>wrote:

> (I hope this isn't so off-topic as to cause offence.)
>
> I'm an computer scientist and oleh chadash , just finished ulpan bet
> plus.  15 years experience in the field, 1.5 years in Israel, was CTO
> of a startup last year, this year I've been mostly studying Hebrew.
>
> So now it's time to polish off my CV and further my career.  I've been
> browsing the main Israeli high-tech websites today, as an example I
> was just looking at the IBM Research Labs - very interesting indeed.
> However most positions seem to require an MSc.  There is a definite
> cultural difference between here and the UK in terms of second degrees
> - I don't have one.  I'm 34 and don't want to hang about forever, but
> at the same time I might consider postgraduate studies if they were
> really useful career-wise.  Naturally, it's also too late in the year
> to apply for the upcoming academic year...
>
> I'd be interested to hear any thoughts from the list on whether it
> would be a Good Idea to consider an MSc at this point, or whether I
> should settle for a role where "just" a BSc is required, and see if I
> can work with future employer to study whilst I work...

Hi Anthony,

IMHO, an advanced degree may help you get considered for a really
interesting position and may also help get your CV into the door - at
certain companies. I doubt that too many places really make an M.Sc. or a
Ph.D. a _requirement_. If you are looking for a position with a lot of
independence, doing some kind of "research" or other "advanced" or
"forward-looking" stuff, it may be useful. If you are looking for
development or development management (for instance), I doubt there is a lot
of significance to it.  It depends on the company and on its management: if
they fancy themselves a "research" outfit and value people who can come up
with and develop an original idea your chances will improve with an advanced
degree. If the focus is delivering a product to spec, on schedule, and under
budget then the effect is likely to be minimal. [This is by no means
intended as a criticism of any product-oriented company, just an observation
that is not backed by any real research or analysis.]

IBM Research Labs in Haifa (HRL) do put an emphasis on advanced degrees for
"Research Staff Member" positions and higher. I'd consider them an
exception. Maybe other very large companies (Microsoft, Google, Intel?) give
bonus points. I know some people (chuckle) who went quite far at HRL without
a degree though, so if you are good and if your CV is impressive even there
things will be flexible.

A faculty or adjunct position at a university may require a degree.

The chances that your employer will be happy to let you work part time and
do postgraduate work are not high. Depends on the fit, and this is hard to
predict. HRL may allow this on occasion. For smaller and more
product-oriented companies it is less attractive, but may happen. I've seen
a few cases like that, but this is not common.

FWIW, I have worked at HRL, taught at a university, and worked at a number
of other companies, and I have an advanced degree... ;-) Overall, I would
say that a Ph.D. helped a lot to get interesting and at times unusual
positions in different fields. I got it in my twenties though, you will have
to assess your own willingness to invest time and effort and to work part
time or not at all for a while. Maybe being an oleh hadash is an
opportunity?

By the way, if you decide to try more studies, check - it is quite possible
you can start a masters in mid-year.

Oleg Goldshmidt | oleg at goldshmidt.org