Palm to Android via Linux

Shlomo Solomon shlomo.solomon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 09:34:54 IDT 2011

I'm having a strange problem moving some memo files from my Palm Zire to a new
Android phone. Since 2 of the 3 platforms I'm using are Linux (my PC and my
phone), I think this is on-topic - so long as we don't get into an arguement
about whether Android is really Linux or not ;-).

1 - I used jpilot to export Palm memo files to text files
2 - the files look fine in a Linux text editor (Kwrite, Kate, etc)
3 - I used Dropbox to move the files to my phone
4 - When I open the files on the phone (with various editors), there are
strange line breaks (seem to be random - between words, in the middle of a
word or even after each letter) - like this:
This is a tes
t to show
an exa
5 - I tried opening the files in Open Office (in Linux) and saving as .odt and
again copied to the phone with dropbox
6 - The Android Open Office reader app now reads the files properly.

Any ideas why the original text files show this behaviour?

BTW - when I opened the files in Open Office (in Linux), I checked to see if
there were un-printable characters, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I
even looked at the files in hexedit to see if there were any unusual
characters, but found nothing unusual.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net