An alternative to Skype

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 07:05:37 IDT 2011

On Jun 10, 2011, at 10:52 PM, Steve G. wrote:

> To make phone calls, other than skype there is ekiga and probably
> some other things, as well as gmail, but these are not free.

Free as in beer, you can get a free SIP "number" at sip2sip.info. Once
you have that, you can get a free incoming number (DID) in Washington
State USA at IPKall.com.

Once you have the DID working, you can get a Google Voice account, if
you sign up from a US IP address. In order to sign up, it will call
you on your US number. With Google voice, you can get an incoming
number in most states in the US. (I don't know if they do Alaska or
Hawaii).

Note that none of these provide any real technical support, and IPKall
provides absolutely NONE.

For Windows and MAC there are several free clients, such as X-Lite and
Zoiper. If you have your own Asterisk system there is VOIX client. I
don't of any open source Windows or MAC clients, but you have your
choice of several for Linux.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.