RMS, Hosts Must Support Boycott?

Tom Balazs tom123online at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 11:22:16 IDT 2011

I would have been happy to say this thread had run it's course, but this
response from RMS and (his apparent "associate" / "organizer") Kobi Snitz is
too much.

Mr. Snitz advises both myself and RMS that in order to make sure the talk in
Israel meets the standards of the BDS-supporting organization which is
"hosting" RMS then the talks in Israel must be both sponsored by a BDS
supporting organization and held in a hall "owned/run" by a BDS supporting
organization. Snitz's words were, "in order to not violate the boycott the
sponsors and the place should be dissenting israeli groups and
institutions".

It seems that Mr. Snitz is a mathematician, anarchist, and leader in the BDS
(boycotts, divestment and sanctions) against Israel movement. If you'd like
to read more about Mr. Snitz you can use the links below. (Responses from
Kobi Snitz and from RMS are also below.)

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/features/shin-bet-puts-israeli-anarchists-in-crosshairs-1.333140
    -  "He was not the only anarchist the Jewish department dealt with that
week. Five days earlier, Kobi Snitz was attending a conference when he
received a call from an unidentified number. The caller told him, 'Shalom,
this is Rona from the Shin Bet. I'm sure you've heard about me.'"
     - "She said she wanted to invite me for a friendly conversation and for
us to exchange thoughts," said Snitz, 39, an anarchist activist and a
mathematician. He asked whether he was being called in for an interrogation
and when she said no, he said, no thanks. In 2009, Snitz served a 20-day
sentence over an attempt a few years earlier to prevent the demolition of a
house in Kharbatha, a village west of Ramallah. Two months ago, he was given
another five-day sentence over a protest against the Second Lebanon War in
2006."
http://www-users.math.umd.edu/~snitz/
http://israel-academia-monitor.com/index.php?type=large_advic&advice_id=7985&page_data[id]=175&cookie_lang=en
http://www.radicalendar.org/calendar/all/all/display/85445/index.php?view=event&fulldate=2009-07-04
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/38551113/In-support-of-the-Palestinian-human-rights-community-call
http://student.cs.ucc.ie/cs1064/jabowen/IPSC/php/authors.php?auid=4993
http://pipl.com/directory/name/Snitz/Kobi
http://israel-academia-monitor.com/index.php?type=large_advic&advice_id=6410&page_data[id]=175&cookie_lang=en&the_session_id=0e356a3b68ae0e5dd29aefaf7ef56e77&BLUEWEBSESSIONSID=21f827e2775005995748ebab68617a46
http://www.israel-academia-monitor.com/index.php?type=large_advic&advice_id=6189&page_data[id]=162&cookie_lang=he&the_session_id=cfbd3321f483be8d97e01a3d1db248bf&BLUEWEBSESSIONSID=049669b2ba65f1c3fedf5a76c53d45aa
-----------------------

from    Kobi Snitz ksnitz at gmail.com
to    rms at gnu.org
date    Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 09:30
subject    Re: Finding a hall in Haifa
mailed-by    gmail.com
signed-by    gmail.com

hide details 09:30 (1 hour ago)

I am missing the earlier part of this correspondence but I can say that in
order to not violate the boycott the sponsors and the place should be
dissenting israeli groups and institutions. In tel aviv my first thought was
the women's coalition for peace. I talked to their head last night and she
said that they've never done anything about free software and she feels it
is strange for them to do it. The upcoming boycott law scares off many other
potential sponsors but I am looking.
kobi.