DNS question

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 03:33:44 IDT 2011

I'm not sure what you are asking - DNS servers are supposed to be there in
order to respond to queries, why shouldn't they answer queries? The slaves
are there exactly as a back-up in case the master becomes unavailable. What
else do you think they are there for?

If at all - the usual setup is that the master is hidden behind a firewall
and only the slaves answer queries. This is supposed to make it harder to
inject bad records into the database since the secondaries should only read
from a secure none-public server.

BTW - if you have your own servers and your own IP address block then check
options for using anycast to get DNS queries routed to the closest DNS
server (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anycast).

(we just use GoDaddy's anycast DNS servers for our corporate domain and
Neustar for the heavy-lifting SaaS application domain, with automatic DNS
fail-over in case one of our DC's becomes unavailable, at least for now. I
don't see a way to use GoDaddy as pure secondary DNS service but a quick
call to their very helpful support can clear that, and there must be many
other providers you can use for that).

--Amos