DNS question

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 02:34:19 IDT 2011

I wasn't suggesting that you should make money from it but if you want a
*reliable* highly available DNS setup then you might be better off paying
someone else to do that for you instead of having this liability on top of
what you are actually get paid for.
I know that setting up a secondary DNS server could be a 5 minute exercise
in the right hands (and I suppose this applies to you), but when things
break you could end up stopping work on more important stuff (from business
perspective) to find and fix a problem someone else could look at for you
for a relatively small sum.

--Amos
On Jun 18, 2011 1:41 AM, "Hetz Ben Hamo" <hetzbh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, the story goes like this:
>
> I hosted few domains in afraid.org as a "premium" user, until I found few
> days ago that this service has some issues, so I thought to test a DNS
> service of mine. I'm not looking for something like AnyCast stuff which
was
> mentioned here. I already got servers in US and EU which serves other
> clients, so setting up a small VPS on them for DNS service (as slaves) is
> not an issue.
>
> As for business side that Amos mentioned here: This setup is just for my
> domains. I'm not going to compete against any big companies who offer DNS
> management. If all works well and I'll find a business justification for
it,
> I'll hire one of the people in this list to check the setup and another
> person to write a web front-end, but it's really just for testing at the
> moment.
>
> Currently I'm sick and tired of DNS management crap from many competing
> Israeli companies. I just moved a web site to one of my clients and we
> waited 72 hours for a DNS change and it didn't happened, and I had to
waste
> 3 hours on the phone to explain to the support guy about records changing,
> DKIM etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Hetz
>
> 2011/6/17 Ariel Biener <ariel at tau.ac.il>
>
>> Without discussing the business reasoning, what you want is the
following:

>> 1. A stealth master hosted somewhere and protected.
>> 2. A number of slaves, spread geographically.
>>
>> Now, discussing the business case, I am not at all sure that hosting 4
>> servers is viable. So, you can host only the stealth masters, and see if
you
>> can buy slave dns services that will be pulling zones from your stealth
>> master.
>>
>> Also, if you have friends that have similar needs you can co-share dns
>> slaves.
>>
>> In general, unless you are a large business with branches spread
throughout
>> the world, or an ISP, or critical infrastructure, hosting your own
stealth
>> master and buying any kind of slave services from others should do fine.
>>
>> Ariel
>> Sent from my BlackBerry®

Google