.htaccess files on apache2 + MySQL

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Fri Mar 4 21:55:58 IST 2011

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Uri Even-Chen wrote:

> OK, I setup file /etc/apache2/sites-available/default , but it's still
> not working. I can't log into /admin , and
> http://www.speedy2000.net/uri/en is "Not Found / The requested URL
> /uri/en was not found on this server.". I used
> http://www.htmlite.com/HTA006a.php to create admin password (without
> salt), what is the problem? And why does
> http://www.speedy2000.net/uri/en not redirect to
> http://www.speedy2000.net/uri/ ? here are the contents of
> /etc/apache2/sites-available/default :

I'll be the first to admit I'm not big on this stuff, particularly regular
expressions, but I didn't see anything whhich would catch /uri/en

> 	<Directory /var/www/admin/>
> 		AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/users/.htpasswd
> 		AuthGroupFile /dev/null

I'd think it just better not to specify AuthGroupFile at all, rather than
use /dev/null.  I've never had occasion to use it.

> 		AuthName "Protected Area"
> 		AuthType Basic
>
> 		<LIMIT GET POST>
> 		require admin
> 		</LIMIT>

As you later posted, the require line is not correct here.  If you want to
be able to support multiple usernames/passwords, you may want to use:

require valid-user

instead.

Geoff.