Solved (was: Brain storm: how do I debug this?)

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Sat Mar 19 18:18:49 IST 2011

On 19/03/11 14:42, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Now I'm stuck for idea as to what to try next. Anyone?

The problem turned out to be that the inittab was running everything it
had to do, and was done. It closed the serial line (had several "getty"
running on /dev/tty1 through /dev/tty6, for some reason), and that's it.
It wasn't doing anything because it ran out of things to do. I removed
the terminals from the non-existing virtual consoles, and added one for
/dev/ttyS0, and the problem was resolved.

More importantly is how I figured it out. Once I realized that the
kernel was running fine, I ran "strace -o log -p 1 -f" from single user
mode, before letting it continue with the boot. This gave me a log of
everything init and its derivatives was doing, which allowed me to debug
what the system was doing. As usual, strace to the rescue.

The only mystery now left is why magic sysreq wasn't working merely
because /dev/ttyS0 was closed. After all, console messages were still
going there. Still, that's a mystery for another time. I'm off to play
with my embedian system now....

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh