rsync problem

Shlomo Solomon shlomo.solomon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 21:39:32 IST 2011

I have a backup script using rsync. I've included part of it below. For some
reason, everything seems to work OK except that files don't get deleted from
the backup copy of /home (I've marked the problem with a comment). Since the
params I specify on all lines of the script are the same, I can't see any
reason why the /home directory would be handled differently.

Any ideas?

rsync -rlvtogS --delete   /boot         $MOUNT/system
rsync -rlvtogS --delete   /etc           $MOUNT/system
rsync -rlvtogS --delete   /root          $MOUNT/system
rsync -rlvtogS --delete   /sbin          $MOUNT/system
rsync -rlvtogS --delete   /tmp          $MOUNT/system
rsync -rlvtogS --delete   /usr           $MOUNT/system
rsync -rlvtogS --delete   /var           $MOUNT/system
#### next line doesn't work properly
rsync -rlvtogS --delete   /home         $MOUNT/home-public
rsync -rlvtogS --delete   /public        $MOUNT/home-public
rsync -rlvtogS --delete   /data2         $MOUNT/data
rsync -rlvtogS --delete   /data1         $MOUNT/data

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net