Too many stars!!!

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Sat Mar 26 10:02:47 IST 2011

On 25/03/11 23:22, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

> I admit that although I am a (former) astrophysicist I gave kstars
> only the briefest of looks in the past. I just fired it up because you
> made me curious. A really neat idea, by the way.

Can you, please, elaborate in what way is the idea embodied in kstars
different than the star maps an astrophysicist would use?
> Go to Settings ->  Configure Kstars and try to reduce "star density"
> (in the "catalogs" tab). As far as I can tell, this effectively limits
> the magnitude of shown object.
I think it does a balance of luminosity and density. In other words, the
more stars there are in a region, the more light they need to be in
order for kstars to show them. That works for me quite nicely. Thank you
very much.
> Also, in the same screen you can disable "deep sky" catalogs.

Those are also disablable (what a wonderful word) from the toolbar,
which I have managed to find.
> I might have goofed or done something you don't want to do.

No, you definitely solved it for me. Thank you very much.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.