Upgrading Android Under Linux

Gadi Cohen dragon at wastelands.net
Fri May 6 14:26:01 IDT 2011

I must admit, I just used Odin under VirtualBox with a Windows 7
guest... it worked great.

But yeah it looks like you're going in the right direction.

Stock Android does RTL, but it has a bug where numbers are reversed in
RTL, which is a bit unbearable (think phone numbers, dates, bank
balances, etc).  As mentioned CyanogenMod has great RTL support (thanks
to Omri Baumer), but the experimental versions for the Galaxy S are not
usable for daily use.

For "full" Hebrew support (fixes for specific apps, etc) you'll need a
locally built rom.  I'm using the PilotX ROM, which I'm very happy
with... I have the v3, but I see v4 is out too.  It's still based on
2.2.1 though (Froyo, not Gingerbread), so you might have to decide
what's more important for you.  http://sgsil.mobi/showthread.php?t=46
(see also www.iandroid.co.il forums)

There are full instructions on the site for how to install; as was
pointed out, you only need Odin to replace the bootloader, and from
there it's just a matter of putting all the files you need on the
internal memory and flashing them.  Obviously you could use Heimdall
instead of Odin for that step.

A lot of ROMs are expecting to be flashed over a certain version of the
flash rom; I think because the partitioning is done differently.  Also
***very NB*** is to make sure that you can get to download mode (vol-up
home and power-on at same time) before you start flashing things; if you
have an older Galaxy S you have to get this working first.  To leave
recovery mode if you don't flash anything (and only then), you have to
remove and replace the battery.

To get to recovery mode with vol-down,home,power can be sketchy
sometimes, but it's possible with some effort (usually by plugging the
phone in to power with the phone off, holding that key combo in for 3
reboots (without letting go, it restarts on it's own) and then it goes
in to recovery fine.  The other solution was - believe it or not -
heating the device up with a hairdryer, which also seemed to work
according to a lot of forum reports.  If you have adb working, you can
also just "adb reboot recovery".

I realize your main question was probably about Heimdall and
Gingerbread, but I hope some of the other info here will help you.

Gadi

On 04/05/2011 17:38, Amichai Rotman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently switched from Nokia N97 to Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000. It
> came with Orange's ROM (Based on Android 2.2).
>
> It is lightning fast compared to my "old" N97, but still - it hangs
> and has a bunch of Apps I do not need or like...
>
> I'd like to upgrade it to version 2.3.3 (Gingerbread). Can any of you
> tell me how to do it under Linux? I am running Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> I found out that Heimdall is the equivalent to Odin, but I get a
> dependency error on the C Libraries when I try to install it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Amichai.

Gadi Cohen aka Kinslayer <dragon at wastelands.net> www.wastelands.net
Freelance admin/coding/design HABONIM DROR linux/fantasy enthusiast
KeyID 0x93F26EF5: 256A 1FC7 AA2B 6A8F 1D9B 6A5A 4403 F34B 93F2 6EF5

//