Disk I/O as a bottleneck?

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Sun May 8 08:15:05 IDT 2011

On May 8, 2011, at 7:54 AM, is123 at zahav.net.il wrote:

> I don't agree with this setup. Regular consumer drives setup with
> RAID to
> stripe are going to be much, much faster and have less problems in
> the long
> run than single SSDs at this point as well as being a better value
> until
> prices change a lot.

If it's stuff you don't use often, or use sequentially, such as
videos, cd/dvd software images, etc, you may consider USB drives. Be
aware that using the NFS kernel server and USB disk drives causes
kernel panics, lost data, etc. You can avoid the problem using samba
shares or the user space NFS server.

The user space NFS server is not compatible with some things, like
RSYNC (missing function support), JDownloader (I/O on download
directory) and the latest version of Ubuntu 11.04's gnome GUI (I/O
error on home directory full "eye candy" turned on). With it turned
off, it works.

Between Kravitz, Bug and Office Depot, they occasionaly have "disk
wars" where they sell USB external disks very cheaply.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.