sending mail from the command line

is123 at zahav.net.il is123 at zahav.net.il
Tue May 10 17:50:50 IDT 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011 17:37:10 +0300
guy keren <choo at actcom.co.il> wrote:

> according to the logs - the mail was not delivered to an external
> machine. check your sendmail's mail queue (using 'mailq') to see if the
> message is still there.
>
> it could also be that the mail was delivered to some local mailbox,
> instead of to google. the fact that it claims that the relay is
> 'localhost' implies that your sendmail is not configured properly. you
> should configure the relay to be the mail server of your ISP.

To this advice I would add, most email providers will not accept mail from
dynamic IPs. You probably got blacklisted the moment you tried it unless
you have static IP and reverse DNS.

Otherwise you will have to configure sendmail to use your ISP's mail server
a relayhost as Guy said, and then send mail out from there. If that is all
you want to do then some mini sendmail replacement is going to be much
easier to live with than full-blown sendmail. Look for ssmtp, msmtp, etc.