Disk I/O as a bottleneck? [OT]

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Tue May 10 21:57:53 IDT 2011

On Sunday, 8 בMay 2011 19:42:55 is123 at zahav.net.il wrote:
> On Sun, 08 May 2011 19:19:25 +0300
> guy keren <choo at actcom.co.il> wrote:
>
> > and how is all this related to solaris Vs. linux? solaris is *nix, at
> > least was the last time i heard ;)
>
> Yes, you are right, but for some reason Solaris has the reputation for
> handling multicore better than Linux and BSD.

Repeating this claim does not make it true:
  http://www.nas.nasa.gov/Resources/Systems/columbia.html
  - Smallest node have "only" 512 (Itanium) cores
  - Biggest system have 2048 (Itanium) cores
  - These systems are from ~2006 (5 years ago)
  - They are SSI (single system image), not clusters.

If Solaris was so much better in multicore handling, I'll bet you would
be able to point to similar Solaris systems, now can you?

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron at actcom.co.il                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron