MS buys Skype - will it support Linux

Orr Dunkelman orr.dunkelman at gmail.com
Wed May 11 10:24:41 IDT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Nadav Har'El <nyh at math.technion.ac.il> wrote:

> I am not aware of *any* Microsoft product that is officially supported on
> Linux. So I don't think there's any chance that a Linux version of Skype
> will continue to exist.

While this is the case, MS can only stop developing new versions for Linux.

If they will "eliminate" the current clients, they will be shooting
themselves in the leg:

1. skype in/out is a revenue source. Even Linux users pay ;) The same
goes obviously for non-MS platforms, like for smartphones, iPod
touches, etc. etc.

2. less skype users - less reasons to stick to skype, and more reasons
to look for something new. Works for other non-MS platforms.

3. regulation - if MS go after the Linux version, they will probably
face regulatory investigations all around the world. As rich as MS is,
a billion or two in fines in several countries, may change the
purchase to a disaster (think of the stockholders! why nobody think of
the stockholders?!?

Cheers,

--
Orr Dunkelman,
Orr.Dunkelman at gmail.com

GPG fingerprint: C2D5 C6D6 9A24 9A95 C5B3  2023 6CAB 4A7C B73F D0AA
(This key will never sign Emails, only other PGP keys. The key
corresponds to orrd at vipe.technion.ac.il)